Select Page

If you`re a professional service provider, you may be wondering whether or not your work is covered under the Service Contract Act (SCA). The SCA is a federal law that requires companies that provide services to the government to pay their employees at least the prevailing wage for the type of work they`re doing. But does this law apply to you?

The short answer is yes, it could. The SCA applies to any service contract that is entered into by the federal government and exceeds $2,500. This includes contracts for professional services such as engineering, accounting, and consulting. However, there are a few caveats to keep in mind.

First, the SCA only applies if the contract is with a federal agency. If you`re providing services to a private company or state or local government, the SCA doesn`t come into play.

Second, the SCA applies to contracts that are primarily for services. If you`re a professional service provider who also provides tangible goods or supplies as part of your contract, the SCA may not apply to you.

Finally, you`ll need to make sure that you`re meeting the requirements of the SCA if it does apply to your contract. This means paying your employees at least the prevailing wage for the type of work they`re doing, as determined by the Department of Labor. You`ll also need to provide fringe benefits such as health insurance and retirement plans, or pay a cash equivalent to your employees if you don`t offer these benefits directly.

Overall, it`s important to understand the requirements of the Service Contract Act if you`re a professional service provider who may be working with the federal government. By following the guidelines and making sure you`re in compliance, you can ensure that you`re providing high-quality services while also meeting your legal obligations.